In the humdrum of this new life, I live like an automaton sometimes. I go through the motions as if I have been programmed to do it over and over again. Some days I find myself thinking, doing, the very same thing I used to think, I used to do. As if my life had not changed. It's almost as if I never carried another human being in me at all.
Almost.
Yet all it takes is a sight of the stack of pregnancy books in the closet, a favorite ultrasound photo, a lighted candle by a wood-carved urn and it comes back to me a hundredfold. The life that I was supposed to have, not this one, but the one where I am a mother to a living child.
The one where I should be worrying about vaccines, infant illness and other things. Important things. Things that matter to the welfare of my child. The wonder, the excitement, the anxieties of what is to come. The dreams and the challenges of a life with a growing son.
And during these times of unbidden trip to what-should-have-beens, the tears would flow. Relentless and pitiful. But like an automaton, I continue to do. I continue to function. The damn tears continue with me. My heart breaking down all over again.
Oh my son, you should be here with me in the land of the living, not in that land of what-should-have-beens.
11 January 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






8 comments:
Wow. What an absolutely beautiful, moving post. You show me what life looks like through your eyes.
Sending you love and light today and always.
He should be. It's so unfair. Much love to you!
I think we all have those moments of what should have been. It's heartbreaking and unfair. Hugs.
I wish Kai could be with you in this realm too. It is so hard going about our days as if we fit into the rest of the world. In so many ways we left a part of ourselves in the alternative reality where our children lived. Sending you love and support!
This post brought tears to my eyes and gave me goose bumps. You have so eloquently said what we all feel. We should be parenting our babes and worrying about them every second not thinking about all of the what should have beens. Sending you love and thinking about you and sweet Kai all the time. <3
I totally hear you... The life of shouldhavebeen drives me nuts. Moms shouldn't have to bury their kids. Period.
Wishing Kai would be there with you.
Thinking about you & sending a big hug!
What a beautiful post. It's constantly amazes me how much we are able to live through. (((hugs)))
I nominated you for a blog award!
Post a Comment