02 November 2011

Kai's Altar on All Souls' Day

It's All Souls' Day today or Day of the Dead. I grew up in a Catholic household and I remember we celebrate this day by going to the cemetery to clean the grave sites of our departed loved ones and go on a 24-hour candle vigil complete with food and music.

It's actually a National Holiday in my homeland. And if you happen to be in a cemetery at this time, you'll marvel at the sight and festivities. It's akin to a tailgating party but I guess in this case, you'll call it tomb-gating. (Sorry I had to insert that in somewhere as it is quite amusing to picture in my mind).

Anyway, this year we decided to skip San Francisco's annual Day of the Dead celebration. Dave was too busy at work and I've got a project deadline coming up. So I thought it would be more doable for us to set up Kai's altar at home and do our 24-hour candle vigil in his memory and in the memories of our departed fathers, grandparents and relatives.

An altar dedicated to our Kai and ancestors, his grandfathers, great grandparents, aunts and uncles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on your posts.. these are lovely pictures. Sending my thoughts your way....

Priscilla said...

What a beautiful way to honor Kai and his relatives. Always in my thoughts. Love to you!

Allison said...

This is beautiful. I imagine Kai and his ancestors are taking good care of each other and are looking over their families. <3 <3 <3

Post a Comment