02 October 2011

HAND - A Service of Remembrance 2011

We attended our support group's annual Service of Remembrance today. The event was held in the same park as last year's service. I think there was a lot of bereaved parents who attended this year. Some I recognized from previous meetings, while others were new faces. It was a nice day among the tall redwood trees and as always, the event was solemn and comforting in spite of the tears. I hope HAND will continue to host the Service of Remembrance, I could see it as one of the rituals/traditions we would go to every October to commemorate our beloved Kai and his angel friends.

We wore our "I Am The Face" t-shirts again this year.
The stage where bereaved parents read poems, listened to their babies' names mentioned and watched white doves fly.
Kai's quilt square front and center in one of the quilts on public display. Stars for baby names and of course, us by Kai's quilt square.
Hubby and our friend, Grace, looking at the quilts.

Our friend, Grace, who was able to attend the service with us this year. I'm glad that she's able to make it to this solemn event and remember Kai with us. She's one of my friends who knew how to stay back when needed and reach out every so often to let us know that she's there for us as we go through our grief journey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment